Thursday, August 13, 2009

Looking Back

I wish I could go to college now that I am a full person and not a shell of mistrust and uncertainty. Yes, because I think I would have made a far superior academic showing now than I did then and yes, because I would have taken classes and taken advantage of resources that suited my real interests rather than interests that I thought I should have. But mostly because college is an unparallelled opportunity to get to know people who are different than one but who are, by virtue of their age and station in life, at their most committed to getting to know others at a deep level. Or even at a not so deep level. Either way, merely being in the presence of others at a time of mutual openness is a beautiful thing. If one accepts that knowing others is the richest part of being alive then college is almost decadent in its offerings of people to know and love. I miss it.

No comments: